Monday, October 4, 2010

New to Jakarta

(Adriana) Hello Miree,
Your email was forwarded to me by Peter Wharton who suggested I contacted you for advice on living in Jakarta. My family and are moving this October 5th and I'm a bit concearned about health and safety systems there. I have a healthy 2 year old son however am very concearned about cleanliness, pollution in the city, etc. Also, if you know of any babysitting companies that you'd recommend I'd greatly appreciate it!

As I'd mentioned to Peter, I'm interested in knowing what is like living in Jakarta as a Westerner, is the health system considerably OK? How is the international schooling system for young international kids, are there any business associations? (I'm a Marketing Communications/PR professional), support groups for foreigners besides de Embassy related groups, what are the things to watch out for regarding climate, food, pollution, environment in general, people, safety (meaning civil and health).

My husband and I lived in Beijing for 3 years (from '05-'08) and loved it except the traffic and pollution. We thereafter moved to Buenos Aires and have been here for 1 1/2 years and now are getting ready to move again!
Any advice you can provide we would greatly appreciate it!
Regards

(Miree) Hi Adriana, It is only natural to be anxious when you are moving to a new Country with a young child. Like Beijing, Jakarta has pollution and the traffic is unmentionable, but the international schooling from preschool up is of a high standard. In regards to medical providers the two that are recommended are International SOS & Global Doctors. I will send you a separate e-mail with further information and some attachments to assist you, as there is quite a lot to cover. Regards, Miree.